Thursday, February 10, 2011

7 miles in the snow

The Weather Team in Nashville can be hit and miss on their predictions, but they nailed this one. After a warm beautiful morning, we got dumped on with Snow on this Wednesday afternoon. 

By late afternoon all my evening appointments had cancelled, and when I looked out my studio window the business park was a parking lot. The streets were bumper to bumper with cars not moving. That when a stroke of multitask genius hit me. I could get in my daily training run AND arrive home much faster than I could drive.

Because I'm a total run geek, I had some cold weather running gear with me, and without hesitation I was dressed and out the door. I know I thrive on the adversity. Last week's 14 miler in the driving rain and today's 7 miler in the snow is going to have me more than ready for my next race, Boston this April.

- now I know you're thinking, "I've seen Christopher run before, and how on Earth did he get a Boston slot?" I got in because I have no shame, and asked a friend who knows a guy, who's dentist fixed a crown on a guy who knows somebody who could get me a slot. Yes, it's that easy. -

Starting my run in the snow I felt fast as I flew past all the cars at a stand still. It was cool to be the first footprints in the freshly fallen snow. It wasn't till I was about 3 miles in that I came upon another set of footprints. It looked to be another runner, with small feet probably a female.  And judging by the even trajectory of the snow particles around the footprint she looked to be a mid-sole striker... Very impressive. I soon saw a second pair of footprints as I entered a new city block, but they eventually turned in toward the liquor store. (Not a terrible idea.)

This hilly run home is no easy walk in the park. There are 5 huge hills, and these aren't your grandma's hills. These are the Tennessee hills that country music songs are about. As you can imagine, there were many-a-car having troubles getting up the hills and sliding all over the place. It was so nice for my health, strength and endurance to help so many people push their cars up the hills and out of ditches.

A trainer at my gym said it took him 3 hrs to drive 8 miles home. I don't know how long it took me, but I wasn't running for time and it didn't take me anywhere near 3 hrs. I've learned I love to run when there is no watch involved. I just run. I like that I ran for practicality and got to help people as well. Maybe now I can justify all the money I spend on shoes, bikes, coaches, gear and races because I made it home in time for dinner.

2 comments: